Whipping up a batch of English Breakfast Scones takes no time at all; and the key to making this quintessential English treat is to not over-mix or over-knead the dough. Follow our tried and tested recipe for buttery and wonderfully fluffy golden scones that is perfect for anytime of the day!
- 375 g plain flour
- 75 g sugar + 1½ tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- 1½ tbsp baking powder
- ¼ +⅛ tsp salt
- 60 g cold butter
- 1½ QL Omega Eggs
- 270 ml whipping cream + 1½ tbsp whipping cream (for brushing)
- Whipped Cream
- 240 ml whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180oC.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or fork.
4. Whisk the QL Omega Egg into the whipping cream. Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the cream mixture. Mix with a fork until the ingredients stick together.
5. Dust a worktop with some flour and pat the dough out to a thickness of about 1 to 1¼ inches. Cut into rounds with a cutter.
6. Place the dough onto a baking tray that has been lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops with some cream. Sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove to a wire rack.
8. To make the whipping cream, whip together the whipping cream, vanilla essence and sugar until soft peak. Serve with scones.
QL Omega eggs are available at major hypermarkets and supermarkets. For more information on QL Eggs, click here