Our Taiwanese-inspired pineapple shortcakes are dangerously decadent. These petite shortcakes are filled with a luscious fruity filling of pineapple and winter melon, encased in a buttery, melt-in- your-mouth pastry that makes it hard to just stop at just one! Don’t just take our words for it; try them out for yourself this weekend!
- Pineapple Filling
- 600 g pineapple flesh (from 1 large, ripe pineapple)
- 300 g winter melon flesh
- 145 g sugar
- 35 g maltose or liquid glucose
- 225 g salted butter
- 105 g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 large QL Omega egg, beaten
- 330 g plain flour
- 45 g cornflour
- pineapple filling
- Pineapple Filling
1. Cut pineapple into smaller pieces. Process in a food processor until fine. Place in medium pot.
2. Cut winter melon into smaller pieces. Process in a food processor until fine, strain away the juice and add the solids to the pot with the pineapple.
3. Cook pineapple together with winter melon until semi-dry, stirring frequently.
4. Add sugar and malt sugar and continue to cook until jam is sticky and golden. Leave to cool.
5. Form into balls of 12 g each.
1. Cream the butter and icing sugar together.
2. Add the egg and cream until incorporated.
3. Sift the plain flour and cornflour together, then fold into the butter mixture.
4. Divide dough into 24 g pieces and shape into rounds.
5. Wrap dough around pineapple filling (recipe above). Press pastries into 3.6 cm x 4.7 cm pineapple shortcake moulds (square moulds or moulds of other sizes may be used, adjust the quantities of filling and dough accordingly).
6. Place the pastries in the moulds on an unlined baking tray (do not use parchment paper to line the tray as the paper sometimes wrinkles up and causes lines to be created on the soft dough). Bake in a preheated oven at 160oC for to about 20 minutes, the timing depends on the colour on underside of the pastries.
7. Once the desired golden colour has been achieve on the underside, turn pineapple shortcakes over and bake for another 5 minutes or until or until the underside has achieved the desired golden colour.
8. Let pineapple shortcakes cool slightly before removing from mould.